7.29.2013

Make Something Mondays


 Welcome to my newest tutorial and the start of "Make Something Mondays"!  I am excited to start sharing crafts/tutorials every Monday with you guys, let's get to it!

Awhile ago I came across a picture of one of these cute ribbon bows on Pinterest (You'll find as I keep writing posts that I'm kind of obsessed with this place).  I found a tutorial for the bow but somehow didn't Pin it, anybody else do that?! Anyway, I had a hard time finding it again so I decided to just sit down and try making one from memory. It wasn't too hard to figure out and now I've gone a tad crazy making them....anybody want some bows?!

 Below is bow done with a 1.5" wide x 3.5" long. Bow ends up being about 2.5" across

Materials:
  • Scissors
  • Thread
  • Ribbon
  • Needle
  • Embellishments


 1. Find some ribbon that you would like to use, it can be wire ribbon if you'd like. Cut 5 strips of your ribbon to you desired length.  I did 3.5" inches for the bow in these pictures.

 2. If you are using wired ribbon, take the wire out from one side (this will make it easier to cinch up the petal).  With one hand hold the middle side that you are taking the wire out of and with the other hand push slowly from the top toward the middle.  The wire should start popping out enough for you to grab it and take it out.

 3.  Start sewing down the short side of the ribbon toward the side that no longer has wire, makes no difference on ribbon with no wire.

4. Continue to sew down the long side then up the other short side.  

5. Pull thread threw until it starts to look like a petal.  


6. Repeat steps 3-5 for the last 4 pieces of ribbon.
On one continuous piece of thread pull as tight as you can after threading all the pieces, don't pull too tight though or you'll break the thread and have to start all over again (I've done that a few too many times, not fun!) 

7. Thread back threw the first "petal" a little bit and pull to close the circle that has now been created.  Knot your thread, and you're done! Now comes the last and my most favorite step....



8. Add embellishments!  Jewels, buttons, pearls, etc.  Have fun with it.
 And there you have it, a super cute bow to go on presents, headband, or clips!

Fluff the petals to your liking (with wired ribbon you can make the petals 'bubbly' like the black and white bow below, or you can show the edges off  like the ribbon above)

The black and white bow is a 2" wide ribbon cut to 2" (so a square) 


1.5" wide 4.5" long ribbon used (this was a non-wired ribbon, so the edges are more ruffly)


I hope you have all enjoyed my tutorial and that it has inspired you to go make a few for some cute girls/lovely ladies!  


No comments:

Post a Comment